K Simpson Ltd was incorporated as an electrical wholesaler and manufacturer of electrical products in Auckland in 1946. Operating originally from premises in High Street, the company subsequently moved to Victoria St (under the present Victoria Park flyover) and then to nearby Sale St in Freemans Bay, where it has successfully traded for the past 49 years.
A second branch was opened at Takapuna, in the Wairau industrial area, in 1992. Eight additional branches have been added since then, with four branches in the Bay of Plenty region, completing a successful expansion outside metropolitan Auckland. The Albany warehouse which opened in 2001, also houses the company’s head office and IT centre.
Although manufacturing activities ceased in the early 1970’s, Simpson’s expanded with the acquisition of a number of smaller companies including the New Zealand operations of Enfield Cables (UK) Ltd, which continues to operate as a specialist electrical cable distributor and importer of all types of cable and glands, with an emphasis on marine, industrial and traffic signal cables approved to international specifications.
Founder Member of Powerbase Group
In 1984 Simpsons joined with a select group of other independent electrical wholesalers to become a foundation member of the POWERBASE GROUP. All companies in the group are 100% New Zealand owned and operated businesses.
Operating independently but providing a nationwide network, POWERBASE now has seven member companies operating throughout New Zealand. Simpson’s is extremely proud of our long association with POWERBASE.